Florida in the Civil War @ Florida OCHP
Blakely, Arch Fredric, Anne. S. Lainhart, and Winston B. Stephens, editors. Rose Cottage Chronicles: Civil War Letters of the Bryant-Stephens Families of North Florida. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1998.
- Broadwater, Robert P. The Battle of Olustee, 1864: The Final Union Attempt to Seize Florida. McFarland & Company, 2006.
- Buker, George E. Blockaders, Refugees, & Contrabands: Civil War on Florida's Gulf Coast, 1861-1865. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1993.
- Cabaniss, Jim R. Civil War Journal and Letters of Washington Ives, 4th Fla. C.S.A. Published by the author, 1987.
- Clancey, Ann Robinson, ed. A Yankee in a Confederate Town: The Journal of Calvin L. Robinson [in Jacksonville]. Sarasota: Pineapple Press, 2002.
- Cox, Dale, The Battle of Marianna, Florida. Published by the author, 2007.
- Cox, Dale, The Battle of Natural Bridge, Florida Published by the author, 2007.
- Davis, William Watson. The Civil War and Reconstruction in Florida. New York: Columbia University, 1913; reprint, Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1964.
- Dickison, John J. "Military History of Florida." In Confederate Military History, vol. 11, part 2, edited by Clement Evans. Atlanta: Confederate Publishing Company, 1898; reprint (as vol. 16), Wilmington: Broadfoot Publishing Company, 1989.
- Dickison, Mary Elizabeth. Dickison and His Men: Reminiscences of the War in Florida. 1890. Facsimile reproduction, Jacksonville: San Marco Bookstore, 1984.
- Driscoll, John K. The Civil War on Pensacola Bay, 1861-1862. Jefferson, NC: McFarland, 2007.
- Fretwell, Jacqueline K., ed. Civil War Times in St. Augustine. Reprint of El Escribano: St. Augustine Journal of History, vol. 23; Port Salerno: Florida Classics Library, 1988.
- Friend, Sandra. Florida in the Civil War: A State of Turmoil. Twenty First Century Books: 2002.
- Hartman, David and David Coles. Biographical Rosters of Florida's Confederate and Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 (six volumes). Wilmington, NC: Broadfoot Publishing, 1995.
- Hillhouse, Don. Heavy Artillery & Light Infantry: A History of the 1st Florida Special Battalion & 10th [Florida] Infantry Regiment, C.S.A. Rome, Georgia: Published by the author, 1992.
- Holland, Keith V.; Lee B. Manley; and James W. Towart, eds. The Maple Leaf: An Extraordinary American Civil War Shipwreck. Jacksonville: St. Johns Archaeological Expeditions, Inc., 1993.
- Hurley, Neil. Florida Lighthouses in the Civil War. Oakland Park, FL: Middle River Press, 2007.
- Johns, John E. Florida During the Civil War. Gainesville: University of Florida Press, 1963; reprint, Macclenny, Florida: R. J. Ferry Publishing, 1989.
- Proctor, Samuel, ed. Florida: A Hundred Years Ago. Coral Gables: Florida Library and Historical Commission Civil War Centennial Committee, 1965. (A day-by-day listing of Civil War events in Florida)
- Loderhouse, Gary. Far, Far from Home: The Ninth Florida Regiment in the Confederate Army. Carmel, Ind.: Guild Press, 1999.
- Loderhouse, Gary. What's in a Name?: The Attack on Fort Myers, Fla. Cape Coral, FL: Posterity Publishing, 2000.
- Martin, Richard A., and Daniel L. Schafer. Jacksonville's Ordeal by Fire: A Civil War History. Jacksonville: Florida Publishing Company, 1984.
- Nulty, William H. Confederate Florida: The Road to Olustee. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1990.
- Parks, Virginia, and Sandra Johnson, eds. Civil War Views of Pensacola. Pensacola: Pensacola Historical Society, 1993.
- Pearce, George. Pensacola During the Civil War: A Thorn in the Side of the Confederacy. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2000.
- Revels, Tracy. Grander in Her Daughters: Florida's Women During the Civil War. Columbia: University Press of South Carolina, 2004.
- Rivers, Larry Eugene. Slavery in Florida: Territorial Days to Emancipation. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2000.
- Schmidt, Lewis. The Civil War in Florida, A Military History (4 parts in 6 volumes). Allentown, PA: Published by the author, 1989.
- Shafer, Daniel L. Thunder on the River: The Civil War in Northeast Florida. University Press of Florida, 2010.
- Taylor, Paul. Discovering the Civil War in Florida: A Reader and Guide. Sarasota: Pineapple Press, 2001.
- Taylor, Robert A. Rebel Storehouse: Florida in the Confederate Economy. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press, 1995.
- Waters, Zach C. and James C. Edmonds. A Small but Spartan Band: The Florida Brigade in Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. University of Alabama Press, 2010.
- Winsboro, Irvin S.D. editor. Florida's Civil War: Explorations into Conflict, Interpretations and Memory. Florida Historical Society Press, 2008.
- Wynne, Nick and Robert Taylor. Florida in the Civil War. Charleston: Arcadia Press, 2002.
Selected articles and book chapters of interest
- Boyd, Mark F. "The Joint Operations of the Federal Army and Navy Near St. Marks, March 1865...." Florida Historical Quarterly 29 (October 1950).
- Brown, Canter, Jr. "The Civil War, 1861-1865." In The New History of Florida, edited by Michael Gannon. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1996.
- Cleveland, Mary Ann. "Florida Women in the Civil War." In Florida Decades--A Sesquicentennial History, 1845-1995, edited by James J. Horgan and Lewis N. Wynne. St. Leo, Florida: St. Leo College Press, 1995.
- Coles, David J. "´They Fought Like Devils': Black Troops in Florida During the Civil War." In Florida's Heritage of Diversity--Essays in Honor of Samuel Proctor. Tallahassee: Sentry Press, 1997.
- Davis, Frederick T. "Engagements at St. John's Bluff, St. Johns River, Florida, September-October, 1862." Florida Historical Quarterly, vol. 15, 1936.
- Jones, Allen W. "Military Events in Florida During the Civil War, 1861-1865." Florida Historical Quarterly, vol. 39, 1960.
- Larkin, J. L. "Battle of Santa Rosa Island." Florida Historical Quarterly, vol. 37, 1959.
- Long, Barbara L. "J.J. Dickison and the Battle of Gainesville." Apalachee, vol. 8, 1978.
- Reiger, John E. "Deprivation, Disaffection, and Desertion in Confederate Florida." Florida Historical Quarterly 48 (January 1970).
- Rivers, Larry E. "A Troublesome Property: Master-Slave Relations in Florida, 1821-1865." In The African American Heritage of Florida, edited by David R. Colburn and Jane L. Landers. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- Schafer, Daniel L. "Freedom was as Close as the River: African Americans and the Civil War in Northeast Florida." In The African American Heritage of Florida. Edited by David R. Colburn and Jane L. Landers. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 1995.
- Waters, Zack C. "'Tell Them I Died Like a Confederate Soldier.' Finegan's Florida Brigade at Cold Harbor." Florida Historical Quarterly 69 (October 1990).
Internet Web Sites
- The Battle of Olustee--A Documentary, produced by the Florida Park Service and others. 43 minutes. 1996.
- Florida in the Civil War, produced by WFSU-TV and the Museum of Florida History. 29 minutes. 1991.
*For more sources, please see the State Archives of Florida's bibliography at:
(This bibliography is not an exhaustive listing of published works related to Florida during the Civil War. For more references, please consult the bibliographic listings of the suggested books and your local public library.)
Return to the Civil War home page.