Kay Larkin Field
Kay Larkin Municipal Airport
|4015 Reid Street |
|Palatka, Florida ||32177|
This site is located in the Northeast region of the state.
The latitude and longitude of the site is 29-39-31.100N / 081-41-18.800W.
Kay Larkin Municipal Airport is located on Reid Street on the west side of Palatka, just off US17S/SR15S.
In October 1942 the Platka City Commission named the newly constructed local airfield for the first Putnam County war casualty, Jaspar Kennedy “Kay” Larkin. Military activity began at this site in June 1943 when the U.S. Navy designated the field as an auxiliary to NAS Jacksonville. Gunnery flights were also conducted between Kay Larkin Field and NAS Green Cove Springs to the north.
Returned to the city in 1946 by the War Assets Administration, the site resumed use as a civilian airfield. In March 1980 an official memorial plaque was erected at the airport terminal entrance by the Putnam County Veteran’s Council and the Spaceport Center Chapter of 99’s, an organization of women flyers.