Greenville Aviation School
|Ocala, Florida |
This site is located in the Central region of the state.
Located at the site of Ocala Municipal Airport, Taylor Field, the Greenville Aviation School opened in November 1941 as a primary flight training facility. Named for the original donor of the property, James J. Taylor, the field was located west of Ocala on State Road 200 and Lemon Avenue. West Point Cadets made up the first class to arrive in November 1941. The school owner, Frank Hanley, had moved this facility from Greenville, Mississippi while retaining the name of that location for his Florida school.
Using the Stearman-designed Kaydet PT-17 trainer, over 5,000 cadets received primary flight training at this location until the school closed in September 1944. With a monthly payroll of $50,000, the Greenville School made a significant economic contribution to the Ocala Community.
With the relocation of Taylor Field to a site on 60th Avenue in 1962, the SR-200 location became an industrial park.