Perry Army Airfield
|Perry, Florida |
This site is located in the NorthCentral region of the state.
The latitude and longitude of the site is 30-04-09.400N / 083-34-50.100W.
The Perry-Fogle Airport is located south of Perry on the east side of US19/98.
Developed on 862 acres on the site of the Perry Airport, the Perry Army Air Field became operational on June 9, 1943. As a sub-base to Dale Mabry Field in Tallahassee, this field operated under the authority of the 338th Fighter Group of the 3rd Air Force. Pilots received their final training in P-40 Warhawks, P-47 Thunderbolts, and P-51 Mustangs. With the close of hostilities, the last pilots left Perry AAF in September 1947. Deeded to Taylor County by the War Assets Administration in April 1947, the field reverted back to civilian aviation purposes.
Present day use includes an Industrial Park and the Forest Capital Museum State Park. Recognition of the WWII significance of this site occurred in 1998 with the installation of a Florida Historic Marker.