St. Johns River Shipbuilding Company
|Jacksonville, Florida |
This site is located in the Northeast region of the state.
Located on East Adams Street across from the present-day Gator Bowl site, the St. Johns River Shipbuilding Company opened in April 1942. The initial workforce of 258 men mushroomed to 7,000 by August and a peak number of 20,000 by 1944. Using six ways, the company produced Liberty ships for transport of men and materiel to both Europe and the Pacific. At a cost of $2,100,000, these ships became the workhorses of the maritime fleet. In all, this site launched eighty-two Liberties during the war.
With the Allied victory in August 1945, Liberty ship production ceased. Nothing remains of the shipyard at this site.