Page Army Airfield
Page Field Airport
|501 Danley Drive |
|Fort Myers, Florida ||33907|
This site is located in the Southwest region of the state.
Lee County Page Field Airport is located east of Cleveland Avenue (US41) just south of Colonial Boulevard (CR884).
Named for Capt. Richard Channing Moore Page, the former Lee County Airport was leased to the Army Air Force in February 1942. Page, a WWI hero, became the first Floridian to join the Army Aviation Corps during that war. Operated by the 3rd Air Force, the B-24 equipped 98th Bombardment Group arrived for training in March 1942. In May the 93rd Bomber Group arrived to replace the 98th. B-24s from Page operated submarine patrols over the Gulf of Mexico.
Fighter pilot training began in February 1943 using P-39 Airacobra pursuit aircraft. In addition, the P-40 Warhawk, P-47 Thunderbolt, and the P-51 Mustang airplanes saw service at Page. Although not a favorite of American airmen, the Russians used hundreds of the Airacobras during the war and trained flight instructors at this facility. The complement of officers, men and women stationed at this facility reached four thousand during the height of training.
Upwards of 225 German POWs from Camp Blanding saw duty at Page Field in early 1945. Many of these men labored digging ditches and other forms of mosquito abatement-related tasks.
Returned to civilian use in September 1945 as the Lee County Page Field Airport, some World War II era buildings remain in service on this site.