French World War II Monument
229 Lake Ella Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32303
This site is located in the NorthCentral region of the state.
Located between the American Legion Post #13 building and Lake Ella on Lake Ella Drive. From North Monroe Street, turn east on Lake Ella Drive to American Legion Post on right (south) side of street.
Located in Lake Ella Park, between the American Legion Post and the lake, is a pink concrete monument in the shape of an artillery shell. Approximately four feet in height and two feet in diameter, this monument came to the citizens of Florida from the people of France in 1949 as an expression of gratitude.
Following the Allied victory over Germany in 1945, and gifts of food to French citizens by generous Americans in 1948, the French responded with forty-nine rail cars of gifts, one for each state and Washington, D.C. This monument, actually a marker from “Liberty Way” road, was included in the Florida car received on February 11, 1949, by Governor Fuller Warren. Inscribed on one side of the monument is “Merci aux soldats et au people Americans.” Never erected at the Capital, the American Legion Post dedicated this marker at this location in 1998