This site is located in the Northwest region of the state.
Hurlburt Field is located just west of Mary Esther, Florida, on the north side of US 98.
The largest of the original gunnery ranges, construction began on Eglin Auxiliary Field #9 in March 1941. Beneficial occupancy occurred in March 1943 with the facility being named Eglin-Hurlburt Airdrome to honor Lt. Donald Wilson Hurlburt. Hurlburt, a WWII Distinguished Flying Cross recipient, survived numerous combat missions only to die in a test flight takeoff crash at Eglin in 1943.
Located six miles west of Eglin, Hurlburt served as headquarters for the Electronic Section of Air Proving Ground Command. Radar countermeasure training took place here, as well. Despite being owned by Eglin Air Force Base, Hurlburt rates special distinction because of size and significance of commands present here. As the home of the US Air Force Special Operations Command, public access to this facility is restricted.
Hurlbert Field Memorial Air Park, located adjacent to Hurlbert Field, is publicly accessible after first checking with the base security at the gate. Dedicated to all air commandos, a WWII Air Commando/Chindit memorial is present along with a memorial to Explosive Ordinance Men and a Missing In Action Memorial. Aircraft of WWII vintage on display from the Air Force Museum are the C-47 Skytrain, the B-25 Mitchell, and the A-26 Invader.